Your Insurance Broker's Blog

Motorcycles, scooters and other types of vehicules

Do you own a motorcycle, scooter, ATV or snowmobile? Here’s what you need to know to drive safely.

Motorcycles and scooters

As a motorcyclist, you are subject to the same rules and regulations as other motorists. You must have at least $50,000 in civil liability insurance coverage to drive on the roads. You also have the option of purchasing optional insurance, such as for theft or collision.

If you drive a moped (scooter) with an engine capacity of 50cc or less, you are not required by law to have civil liability insurance as you would for other types of vehicles. However, without this type of insurance, you will not be protected if you are sued for damages unintentionally caused to third parties.

If you get injured in a traffic accident while riding your motorcycle or scooter, you will be covered under the compensation program of the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ).

ATVs, snowmobiles and other off-highway vehicles

The rules and regulations for off-highway vehicles are different. Do you own a snowmobile, motocross or ATV? You are required to hold $1 million in civil liability coverage for your vehicle. 

With the exception of a few specific cases, your insurer will cover unintentional injuries to third parties for which you are held responsible. 

Also, you should know that the SAAQ program will not apply should you be injured in an accident while driving an off-highway vehicle. It’s up to you to get adequate insurance to protect all drivers of these vehicles.